Monday, June 13, 2011

Recipe ~ Chicken Tortilla Soup

It may not exactly be soup weather, but if you are like me you could eat soup year 'round.  I made this recipe up quite some time ago and it is one of our faves.  It's full of protein and very little calories, unless you top it with a lot of cheese and tortilla chips ;-)  Anyhoo, I made this last night before the Mavs game and I think it brought them good luck (hehe).  Enjoy!!!

Chicken Tortilla Soup

1 pkg of chicken, boiled and shreaded
2 cans of fire roasted, diced tomatoes
1 can of green chilis
1-2 cans of black beans, depending on how much beans you want
1 carton of chicken broth
1 onion, diced
1 green bell pepper
1 envelope Ranch dressing mix
cilantro, chopped and to taste
1 tbsp of cummin, or to taste
Salt, pepper, garlic, paprika, chili powder to taste

Cook chicken and shread. Saute onion and peppers until transluscent. Bring remaining ingredients to a boil and simmer for 30-45 mins.

Tips ~ You may also use 2 cans of chicken or a rotiserre chicken from your grocery store. You may omit onions or peppers if you do not like them. Corn is also good in it, but Brooks doesn't like corn so I never put it in.

1 comment:

Christine said...

I'm totally a soup-a-holic. I'll give your tortilla soup a try! Thanks for sharing!
Christine
www.phoenixrevolution.net